It’s time for another instalment of ‘The Edit’ – my ongoing series sharing curated selections to help you make the most of simple, relaxed moments at home and beyond – and today I’m focusing on mornings at your desk. Now, I realise you might be thinking that work isn’t something you look forward to or find relaxing, but there are ways to make it more enjoyable – especially now so many of us spend all or part of our working week at home.
Even though I’m lucky enough to do something I love for a living, it certainly isn’t without its stresses and pressures. Over the years I’ve found that little touches really do help me stay calm, focused and productive. A flickering candle with an energising scent, a plant or two to purify the air, pretty planners to organise my time, a speaker to play music or podcasts on long days of photo-editing, a carafe of water to keep me hydrated… they all make a difference. So, here’s my pick of functional yet beautiful items (and few little treats) to make a busy morning at your desk that little bit less daunting:
- Muuto ‘Story’ cork pinboard and pen holder, £50, Nordic Nest [AD – affiliate link]
- Menu ‘Peek’ desk lamp (available in black and white), £260, Nordic Nest [AD – affiliate link]
- Ferm Living ‘Bon’ ceramic pot with lid, £19, Lifestory
- Hasami Porcelain mug (available in three sizes), £24.50-£29.50, La Gent
- Midori ‘D-Clip’ paperclips (available in numerous animal shapes, including cat, dachshund, rabbit and penguin), £5.40, Cult Pens
- HAY scissors (available in brass and black), £12, Lifestory
- Ferm Living ‘Ripple’ small carafe set (available in clear and smoked grey), £29, Nordic Nest [AD – affiliate link]
- Desktop houseplant bundle (with five plants that will thrive on desks and shelves), £45, Patch
- Muuto ‘Arrange’ stackable desktop trays (available in various colours and sizes to configure how you want), £12-£24, Nordic Nest [AD – affiliate link]
- Hand-thrown ceramic plant pots (available in various sizes and finishes), £18-£55, Dor & Tan
- Notem planners and notebooks (available in various sizes, colours and formats), £9-£30.50, Folk Interiors
- HAY pencil sharpener, £4, Lifestory
- HAY ‘Anything’ stapler (available in grey and mint green), £9, Lifestory
- HAY bullet pen, £6, Lifestory
- Kaweco ‘Sport’ fountain pens (available in various colours), £24 each, Papersmiths
- Brass-coloured clips, £16, Trouva [AD – affiliate link]
- Kreafunk ‘Care aJazz’ Bluetooth speaker (made from textured wheat fibre, with a built-in microphone for hands-free calls ), £79.95, Trouva [AD affiliate link]
- Monograph erasers (set of three), £2.50, Map Stores
- ‘Awaken Your Senses’ scented candle (a blend of rose geranium, orange, eucalyptus and rosemary), £20, Nui Naturals
If you need any more inspiration for creating a routine and a workspace that suit you, you’ll find my tips on working from home here. You might also like my pick of the best minimalist desks, office chairs and desk lamps.
Please note this post contains affiliate links (all clearly marked), which means I will receive a small commission on any resulting sales. You won’t pay any more by clicking on these links than you would by visiting the websites directly, and it helps to support the free content I create here.
Top, bottom and candle images by Abi Dare; all other photography via the respective brands