The Edit | Festive cocktails
Cocktails and mocktails always make celebrations feel that little bit more special, don’t you think? Maybe it’s the fact that we don’t have them every day, or perhaps that they take a while to mix up – there are rituals involved in their creation, and the wait only makes us savour them more. Whatever the reasons, with Christmas and New Year approaching I thought I’d dedicate this month’s edition of ‘The Edit’ to everything you need for a stylish, practical home bar – whether you’re hosting a large gathering with family and friends or planning an intimate evening for two. And if you’re currently under lockdown restrictions of some kind, it might even help you recreate your favourite haunt until things reopen again.
The below might not be the cheapest cocktail kit around, but I wanted to focus on equipment that’s sure to last for decades to come. There are shakers, stirrers, ice buckets, glasses and more – all with timeless minimalist style, and as beautiful as they are functional. They’re the kind of thing that will look great left out on display on a sideboard, shelf or bar cart, and they also make excellent gifts for any budding mixologists in your life. I’ve even included a recipe book and my all-time favourite gin…
- Ferm Living ‘Ripple’ champagne saucers (available in clear and smoked grey glass), £39 for a set of two, Lifestory
- Stelton stainless-steel bar set (dispenser, bottle opener, corkscrew, knife, ladle and ice tongs), £155.45, Connox
- Stelton Arne Jacobsen ‘Cylinda-Line’ stainless-steel cocktail shaker, £149.99, Trouva [AD – affiliate link]
- Kristina Dam ‘Bauhaus’ trolley / bar cart (available in black and white), £549, Nest.co.uk
- Magisso self-cooling ceramic bottle cooler (available with a black or white band at the top), £53, Connox
- ‘Sky’ decanters, serving trays and dishes, from £25, Georg Jensen
- Kyrö gin (an award-winning gin made in Finland), £29.95, Master of Malt
- Dorre ‘Tor’ stainless-steel cocktail spoons with straws, £10.90 for a set of six, Nordic Nest
- Ferm Living black brass bottle opener, £19, Trouva [AD – affiliate link]
- Regarding Cocktails by Sasha Petraske and Georgette Moger-Petraske (with musings, advice on stocking a home bar and 85 beautifully illustrated recipes), £19.95, Phaidon
- Nicolas Vahé cocktail gift box (syrup, garnishes, measuring cup, stirring spoon and recipe cards), £45, Map Stores
- Stelton Arne Jacobsen ‘Cylinda-Line’ stainless-steel ice bucket, £229, Trouva [AD – affiliate link]
If you’re seeking inspiration for festive concoctions to make at home, you’ll find three ideas for winter gin cocktails here. There’s also a recipe for easy espresso martinis here.
Please note this post contains affiliate links (all clearly marked), which means I will receive a small commission on any resulting sales. You won’t pay any more by clicking on these links than you would by visiting the websites directly, and it helps to support the free content I create here.
Top image by Abi Dare; bottom image by Ferm Living. Collage photography via the respective brands